Thursday, August 10, 2006

Making a Difference


It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8

Let go and let God. After our misadventure on the trip down to Mississippi,the confusion created by a change in the administration of the NDR program and worrying about keeping 18 people busy rebuilding Gautier; I was pretty frazzled.

During my prayer time Tuesday morning, I implored God to help me deal with all these problems. As I closed my time with Him, I felt a sudden calm come over me. It was as if God was saying, "Let go, quit worrying, I've got you covered."

I realized then that even though confusion reigned and maybe our jobs seemed small, we were making a difference in the lives of the people we were working for. As team leader and having specialized skills, I have been able to move around Gautier and the surrounding areas. I watched our teens make a difference in a park as they cleaned up litter left by Katrina. I have talked to folks and heard their stories. I have listened as they expressed their feelings of gratitude for our help.

Today, a team helped a 72 year old woman with four foster children who were all under the age of 5. The team made repairs to her home. It made a difference. I worked with Andrew on a project where we are trying to get a handicapped man out of his FEMA trailer and back into his house. We are making a a difference.

I know now that by placing my fears in God's hands that with His help, we will continue to make a difference in our lives and in the lives of the people of Gautier, Mississippi.--Bob

Click here to view our photo album.

1 comment:

Doug Boquist said...

Bob,

Thanks for this post. I appreciate all of the perseverance that your team is exhibiting. I am amazed as I read your stories how much work is yet to be done. you are putting a human face on this disaster. We are continuing to pray for you all. When we gather for worship later this morning, we will be praying for a tremendous sense of God's presence in your midst.

Pastor Doug